High Ranking Players using Anti-Spin

How to use and play against it!

High Ranking Players using Anti-Spin

Postby pbsmick » April 1st, 2012, 5:16 pm

Do many high ranking players use Anti-Spin? I know some use pimples but I never hear about anti.
pbsmick
pbsmick
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blade: Andro SuperCore Cell Off
Rubber: Andro Hexer HD

Re: High Ranking Players using Anti-Spin

Postby thesophrulz » April 2nd, 2012, 8:00 pm

The highest rated anti player I know of is Amelie Solja who is currently ranked 86 in the chookies. She has an ugly style but I guess gets the job done to an extent.

I don't know of any highly ranked mens anti players since they bought in the two colour rule in the mid-80s. Before that rule Cai Zenhua of course was ranked 2 in the world and practically unplayable. After the rule he was effectively finished. The same occured with Australian champ Gary Haberl. Most of the anti choppers switched to long pimples after they became popular in the 70s.

Basically anti is too easy to play against for a half-decent looper.
thesophrulz
Gold
Gold

Blade: Banda Dacota
Rubber: Palio Blitz

Postby pbsmick » April 3rd, 2012, 1:03 pm

If you read William Henzell's lastest blog on http://www.ttedge.com he beat a wr 95 player who used long pimples on the backhand and was a pen holder. I was interesting reading how he played against him.
pbsmick
pbsmick
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nbrpl8 » April 7th, 2012, 7:56 pm

I would like to read that but can't find it...... where exactly pls?
nbrpl8
Semi Final
Semi Final

Postby pbsmick » April 8th, 2012, 3:07 pm

You need to be a ttedge member to read William's blog

"I didn’t have many expectations for the match. Liu is unorthodox; a left hander with long pimples on his backhand, fast footwork and a strong forehand topspin/counterspin. It’s so hard to know beforehand how playing styles are going to match up. I didn’t want to get into too many long rallies against his pimples. My strengths are around hitting fast spinny shots which are difficult for the opponent to read. My game isn’t suited to standing and topspinning shot after shot against backspin chops. So I tried to take the ball early and play it fast into his middle or backhand side. I found my rhythm pretty quickly in the match. He first set was scrappy with both players trying to feel their way into the match. I won 11-7. My play in the 2nd set was almost flawless. I tried to use my backhand topspin as often as possible on both my returns of serve and first topspins. The more confident I felt with it, the more I was able to vary the placement which confused Liu further. Stopping him from using his forehand topspin pivot was a priority. Took the 2nd game 11-4."
pbsmick
pbsmick
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Pimples/Antispin