Coburg Chat

Tell us what club you play at.

Re: Coburg Chat

Postby thesophrulz » October 30th, 2012, 10:41 pm

ROUND 12

SECTION 1: A Night of Comebacks

Dream Crushers 4 - Be Phu's Crew 1: This match was much closer than the score indicates. Craig was not as razor sharp as usual (he said his rubber was odd in the heat) and found himself down 1-2 and 4-7 against BP before clawing back and winning in 5. He was also down 6-9 in the 5th against Danny (who is playing much better since he ditched the anti in favor of short pips) but got out of jail again. Earn looked to be in good form for Sundays Super League and won both his singles.

Dream Team 4 - Night Mares 1: Mustang had a cold but his play looked very hot - winning both his singles 3-0. In doing so he avenged his recent 2 losses to Liao. He appears to have developed a little more schtick on his loops and his blocking was very accurate and sharp. Duncan was down 3-5 in the 5th against Chris but his heart is bigger than the Kerang Town Hall and he reeled off 8 straight points to take the match! The Duncan-Liao match was another 5 set marathon classic. The King of Kerang raced to a 2-0 lead however Liao managed to win the 3rd game and then led 10-0 (!) in the 4th before winning 11-3. In the 5th the K of K played very confidently to lead 10-6 and it looked all over. However after a few "My God"s Liao played some great pressure points and fought back to win 15-13 in a thriller.

Special Class 3 - Just Jims 2: Poor Just Jims are now just last (well, equal last with Special Class). Jack, who is in great form after returning from injury, was down 10-6 in the first against Jim but hit some big shots to win 12-10. He then went on to take the match 3-1. Against Mark he narrowly lost in 5. Patto is in great touch following his Australian Veterans trip and won both his match 3 zip.

Leading Players: Craig 19/3, Mustang 18/2, Duncan 12/6, Charlie 12/8

Ladder: Dream Team 3 matches clear of Dream Crushers

SECTION 2: Loose Lips Starz!

Loose Lims 4 - Starz 1: After being battled hardened recently in Canberra Looping Lawrence impressively beat both Zeeshan and The Salmon. Chai vs The Salmon was a good standard match with the latter winning in 5.

The other two Section 2 matches were 5-0 whitewashes. Nick Off only conceded 2 games to Bairnsdale Boys whilst Kenargy also only conceded 2 games to Pekain (who had Taxi Tom filling in for Kaunain). Naturally The Dim didn't lose a match - his team had the bye.

Leading Players: Ken 17/3, Nick 17/5, Kaunain 16/2

Ladder: Nick Off one match clear of Kenargy.
thesophrulz
Gold
Gold

Blade: Banda Dacota
Rubber: Palio Blitz

Postby thesophrulz » November 4th, 2012, 9:39 pm

SUPER LEAGUE 2012

Super League 2012 was played today and a great day it was! The strongest Super League yet and brilliantly organized by Bruce and Cathy. Doing battle were Trent, Li from Sydney (Australian Semi Finalist with a monster forehand) Datta, Danny Semmler, BBrian, Horst, and all of Coburg's finest. The Soph was there all day marshaling his wonderful team of volunteer umpires, Davo snapped so many photos his shutter finger developed RSI, and generous sponsor Looping Lawrence dropped in with his lovely wife Susie. I dont have the results in front of me so I will give snippets of what I remember.

There were so many classic 5 setters it wasn't funny, including several nail-biting doubles encounters. Trent was in good touch and was clearly the standout player winning all his matches relatively comfortably. Datta is a class act but looked a little short of practice and dropped matches to Trent, Semmler and Craig (who started slow but got better as the day wore on). The Train was in spectacular form and was pretty much the star of the day - losing only to Trent, BBrian and Datta; and beating Li and Semmler. Duncan started brilliantly with wins over Craig, Mustang, Horst and myself but succumbed to injury and tiredness as the day wore on but still played some impressive matches. Aside from his losses to Danny and myself, BP was generally superb - beating Li, Duncan, Horst, and Mustang, and having several match points against Datta before going down narrowly in 5. BBrian played very solidly all day, pushing Datta and Li and scoring wins over Mustang, Earn, Horst and Duncan; and losing 14-12 in the 5th to Craig. Mustang scored good wins over Semmler and Craig.

Craig/Earn we're doing battle against Trent/Jim/Horst in the final when I had to leave. I will post the results as soon as I hear of them.

UPDATE at 2 matches apiece Craig/Earn won the doubles 11-8 in the 5th to win Super League 2012. Congrats on a well deserved win.

(EDIT by Bruce Carter: In an interview the King of Kerang said he thought the Mayor of Kerang would organize a ticker tape parade to honor his amazing Super League achievements)
thesophrulz
Gold
Gold

Postby thesophrulz » November 13th, 2012, 10:35 pm

ROUND 13

Not much of a report tonight as I wasn't there. I will pass on brief details my correspondents passed on to me. Ladders and leading player lists to follow tomorrow.

SECTION 1 - THE DREAM TEAM STUMBLES, SPECIAL CLASS RUMBLES!!

Just Jim's 3 - the Dream Team 2: This result is quite as startling as it may first appear. Mustang - The Dream Teams strong number 2 player - called in sick and his place was taken by Looping Lawrence. Lawrence played very solidly, losing to Jim and Mark in 4 close games. Duncan beat Mark 3-1 and had an entertaining match with Jim before winning 3 nil. Mark and Jim won the doubles for the match.

Special Class 4 - Charlie/Rory 1: Jack, who has been in top form of late, took out Charlie 3-1 with some impressive shot making. Patto also beat Charlie 3-1 and clinched the canteen shout by downing Rory 3-1. Rory downed Jack for his teams only win.

Night Mares 1 - Be Phu's Crew 4: The oft brilliant Liao had a disappointing night losing to both BP and Danny. Chris beat Danny to salvage one rubber from the wreck.

Leading Players: Craig 19/3, Mustang 18/2, Duncan 13/7, Patto 12/8

Ladder: Dream Team 11/2, Dream Crushers 9/4, Be Phus Crew 8/5

SECTION 2: PETER P SHOWS VIM, LOOSE LIMS DOWN DIM.

Pekain 2 - Starz 3: Pete P turned back the clock beating both The Salmon and Zeeshan. Unfortunately Taxi Tom, filling in for Kaunain, struggled in the class.

Loose Lims 4 - Marching Band 1: Lawrence, who received an earlier tune-up in section 1, impressively crushed both Phil and The Dim. Chai also beat The Dim but fell 11-6 in the 5th to Phil.

Kenargy 4 - Bairnsdale Boys 1: Luke, who used to rule section 2, attended the Coldplay concert tonite and was replaced by Steven Roy. Steven had a top win over Abdul to notch up his team's only rubber.

Leading Players: Ken 19/3, Nick 17/5, Kaunain 16/2

Ladder: Nick Off 12/1, Kenargy 11/2

Duncan will be very pleased to note that the phrase 'The King of Kerang' does not appear anywhere in this weeks wrap up.
thesophrulz
Gold
Gold

Postby thesophrulz » November 20th, 2012, 10:30 pm

ROUND 14

SECTION 1: The Train still not taking passengers/Rory shines.

Dream Crushers 4 - Night Mares 1: Following his fantastic Super League showing The Train was still in express mode tonight crushing Liao 3-0 in his first match. In his second match he was almost derailed by Chris Y before scraping home 11/9 in the 5th. Craig beat Chris but then fell 3-1 to the classy Liao.

Dream Team 4 - Charlie/Rory 1: Rory was in great form tonight losing 11/9 in the 5th to Dream Teams number 1 (Duncan) and then taking out Mustang 11/4 in the 5th. Whilst Rory's loops are still very flat his blocking and general rallying was fairly solid. Also, Rory's receive of serve can be a bit fragile but tonight he had no trouble in this area. Charlie has reverted back to inverted and will no doubt take some time to adjust. He played ok but still lost his 2 singles.

Be Phus Crew 3 - Just Jims 2: Just Jims failed in their attempt to not finish bottom. DB won both his matches 3-0 but Jim was stiff to lose both his. Against Danny Jim led 10-6 in the 4th but stumbled and ended up losing 11/9 in the 5th.

Leading Players: Congrats to Craig who played a great season. Craig 20/4, Mustang 19/3, Duncan 16/6, BP 14/8.

Ladder: Dream Team 12/2, Dream Crushers 10/4, Be Phus Crew 9/5.

Semi Final next week: Crushers play the Crew - winner plays Dream Team in the final.

SECTION 2:

Top teams Kenargy and Nick Off did battle with Kenargy winning 4-1. Against Nick Abdul managed to come back from miles behind to score a narrow win in 5. Ken was too good in winning both his singles. Steve beat Abdul 3-1 for Nick Off's only rubber.

Starz whooped Bairnsdale Boys 5 zip however Luke played well losing 3-2 to the Salmon and 3-1 to Zeeshan.

Marching Band had a narrow 3-2 win over Pekain. Peter lost a marathon 5 setter to Phil in a 50 odd minute match. Kaunain - who is back from injury but still suffers from tennis elbow - had a very narrow 5 set win over The Dim before beating Phil 3-1. The Dim took down Peter 3-1.

Leading Players: Ken 21-3, Kaunain 18-2, Nick 17-7, The Dim 15/9

Ladder: Kenargy and Nick Off 12-2, Loose Lims and Marching Band 8/6. Im not sure of the tie break status.

Duncan will be very pleased to note that the phrase 'The King of Kerang' does not appear anywhere in this weeks wrap up.
thesophrulz
Gold
Gold

Postby thesophrulz » November 27th, 2012, 10:24 pm

SEMI-FINALS

I wasn't at the club tonight but I spoke to 3 fine primary sources: Abdul, Nick B, and The Soph.

SECTION 1: Dream Crushers 3 - Be Phu's Crew 0. Craig beat BP 3-2 and Earn scored 3-1 over Danny to set up the long awaited super grand final clash.

SECTION 2: Nick Off 3 - Loose Lims 2. A nail biter. Steve starred for Nick Off winning both his matches. Nick fell to Sean O'Sullivan (who was filling on for Lawrence) but beat Chai to make up his teams third rubber.

GRAND FINALS

SECTION 1: MAN BITES DOG - Dream Crushers 3 - Dream Team 0!!!!!! Has the world come to an end? The Dream Team's long long reign is over. The Dream Team were 'Dream Teamed'. Doubles then Craig whooped Duncan 3 zip and The Train steam-rolled Mustang 3-0 for an astonishing victory. Well done guys.

SECTION 2: Nick Off 3 - Kenargy 1. Ken and Abdul rocked up hurried and late from a school function and had to step onto the court fairly cold. They managed to win the doubles but then Abdul fell to Steve and Ken had an unexpected loss to Nick. In the 4th rubber Abdul and Nick had a great tussle before Nick won the crucial rubber narrowly in 5. An impressive result again by Nick who has now won the past 5 Section 2 flags...with 5 different partners!

Xmas comp starts next week. I won't be doing any reviews for it but if anyone would like to do it please go for it.
thesophrulz
Gold
Gold

Previous

Return to Table Tennis Clubs